Sunday, March 6, 2011

All About Me

Hello everyone! My name is Elizabeth Poole Sanford but some of my closer friends may know me as Mrs. John Sanford.  I am born in the year 1797 and I am currently married to my beloved husband, John Sanford. I am the proud author of Woman in Her Social and Domestic Character which was finished in the year 1842. I live in the time period where industrialization had taken a toll and gender-based social roles were customary. During these times, men were supposedly the wage earners and women were to stay at home and take care of the children and household. I greatly support women's rights but I try to do so in a very conservative and passive fashion. Sentiment for women during my time went through drastic change.

My life was surrounded by new beliefs that featured middle-class woman as a nurturing mother and wife. However, I rarely saw women practice this new supposition. I would see my close friends act outside as the "idle" wife. They would put on a facade to trick viewers from the outside that they were living happy, carefree lives. In fact, they suffered greatly. Women never gained any benefits or pay. They would have to work diligently to maintain their status as the "female" in the relationship and to portray a well-kept household. I would see this happen, and as a women's right activist, I knew something had to be done. Thus, I went out and advocated the idea of a dependent woman to get men to see that we do appreciate them. I didn't want men believing that we take them for granted so I chose my words carefully. I said that women know their role in society, but we are striving to find a better lifestyle. We know we're the lesser sex, but is it so wrong to improve our stature?

For those who do not really know me, I am most famous for my advice to middle class women on their proper role and behavior in society. Throughout my whole lifetime, I would hear men despise my ideas which indirectly portray women acting the amazon (yes, my own words). In fact, I really advocate the idea that women should understand that they are the weaker vessel in the relationship between man and woman. I spent the duration of my life conveying this thought to both sexes alike. Women should do what she can, but still be conscious of inferiority and thus be grateful for support. We should still show our consciousness of dependence. As a result, we receive honor from our male superiors. Our weakness would therefore be an attraction, not a blemish. In this manner, women will still make a stand to show that they are someone in society yet also take part in the family household. Can a man really dominate his family on his own? I think not. Women are here to support men by taking on the role of a housewife. We are also a part of society, a part that is required for the world to go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment